Pre and Post-Marriage Planning
PRENUPTIAL & POSTNUPTIAL CONTRACTS
YOU CAN’T PREDICT THE FUTURE, BUT YOU CAN TRY.
Couples in Alberta can enter into Contracts to protect their legal rights prior to marriage and after marriage. These Contracts are put into place to pre-emptively address matters such as support and property division if the relationship were to end in the future.
GDE FAMILY LAW can help you to:
- Understand what you can and cannot decide in a Prenuptial Contract.
- Ensure that the Contract you negotiate is fair and reasonable.
- Ensure that if the Contract ever has to be used, it will be simple to carry out and helpful to the separation process.
- Safeguard your family property.
- Safeguard your future earnings and investment(s) dividends.
For these types of Contracts to be considered legally binding, both parties must obtain Independent Legal Advice (“I.L.A.”) before signing.
At GDE FAMILY LAW, we can draft your Contract or provide you with that I.L.A. if your Contract has already been drafted.